History

HISTORY

When Dr. Selman A. Waksman won the Nobel Prize for the discovery of streptomycin, he started to think about strengthening general microbiology at Rutgers. At a meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Waksman Foundation of Microbiology, held in July 1951, it was resolved that the Foundation should make available to the University $2,300,000 for the proposed Institute of Microbiology. Dr. Waksman was keenly aware of the need researchers would have for large quantities of well-characterized cells and cell products. His plans for the institute included devoting the better part of one wing of his new building to a pilot-scale fermentation plant. On June 7, 1954, the official dedication of the new Institute took place. Ever since then the fermentation facility has been in operation to provide services to a diverse clientele and in 2011 has been renovated and redesigned for increased capacity.